Monday 29 February 2016

I'm loving Knit Fabric

Do you love to wear knit fabric but get a bit nervous sewing it? Well me too!..... As you would know last year I launched 3 new clothes patterns... and yes I love making them in beautiful woven cotton quilting fabric.... But now there are some amazing knit fabrics also being made.... so yep I made my clothes in knits.... and what do you know.... I LOVE THEM.... so here are are tips and tricks for my clothes patterns.... You sooo have to try them!

Basic How To for sewing with knit fabrics.
* Use a 90 ballpoint machine needle (stretch needle)
* Use a stretch stitch on your sewing machine... it often looks like a lightening bolt.
* Use clear elastic tape to sew in the shoulder and side seams.
* Use knit hemming tape in the hems.... this stops the hems stretching and making a wavy edge.

* If in doubt purchase the Colette Guide to Sewing Knits Book its a great reference book for sewing knit fabric.


PS066 My Fit and Flare Dress
* Cut a size smaller for your knit fabric
* Keep the back neck darts
* Do not sew the back contour darts
* I did not add the zipper... I sewed a full back seam
* When sewing the side and shoulder seams use clear elastic tape and stretch stitch.
* Use stretch hemming tape when sewing the hem
* Use bias binding for the neck and shoulder edges as per the pattern.

I made mine in Girl Charlee fabric Cotton Jersey blend knit called Pure Vintage Lotus Flower

                                                   
         

PS070 My Shift Dress
* Cut a size smaller for your knit fabric
* Keep the back contour darts
* I did not add the zipper... I sewed a full back seam
* When sewing the side and shoulder seams use clear elastic tape and stretch stitch.
* Use stretch hemming tape when sewing the hem and sleeve edges
* use bias binding for the neck edge as per the pattern.

I made mine in Girl Charlee fabric Cotton Jersey blend knit called Vintage Blue Stitched Arrow


                                                   

                                                       
PS065 My A-Line Skirt
For the A-Line Skirt I only made the skirt in knit fabric.
* Cut the same size pattern pieces as woven. 
* Cut the yoke in woven fabric
* Cut the skirt pieces in knit fabric
* Make the same as per instructions for the woven skirt.
* Use stretch hemming tape when sewing the hem edge to prevent it from stretching
* use bias binding for the yoke waist edge as per the pattern.

I made mine in Anna Maria Horner fabric Cotton Jersey blend knit called Sealing Wax knit in Primary




Make sure you have a go and making them.... If you do not own one of my Passionately Sewn Clothes Patterns head over to my website

Happy Creating
Janeene



No comments:

Post a Comment