Thursday 15 September 2016

One of my favourite quilts - My Flower Bloom Quilt


I absolutely love this quilt when I finished it... Is it the texture of the background or the pop of  colour of the flower blooms? I do not know ..... I think it just works!


The background is made of large 60 degree triangles, in white, cream, grey and silver. And grey is not a colour I would normally pick, but I do love a bit of sparkle... I do not match whites and cream and I do not think about a warm or cool grey. I just do not match....

I often get asked how do I pick my background fabrics... The trick for me is to lay your fabrics out and squint your eyes, if one pops out, then it doesn't work... take it out. The background needs to be full of texture, you could even use linens and thicker weight fabric, it is about the texture of the background.

For the flower bloom fabrics, I used one of my favourite designers, the Kaffe Collective... But I did not pick the super brights, I picked the medium ones... Here they are...


The flower blooms have been raw edge appliqued and faux trapuntoed. Have you ever done this technique? It is one of my favourites. You could use this technique on all your applique pieces like this quilt or use small parts of your quilt trapuntoed. The trapunto gives your applique pieces a little bit of "puff', but more subtle than traditional trapunto and there is no cutting or stuffing.


Here is what the trapunto looks like... This technique makes the flower blooms pop off the quilt!

The Flower Bloom Quilt patterns for this is is full colour instructions and goes step by step on how to complete the quilt including the trapunto.

The templates for the flower  bloom are also full sized, so there is no need for enlarging.



If you wish to purchase a flower bloom quilt pattern click here... or if you just wish to learn some of my machine applique techniques, including the trapunto then I have a great little booklet of tips and techniques called... my machine applique..

I hope you love this quilt as much as I do..

Happy Creating



No comments:

Post a Comment